View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 AM
Edie

Also (leftover from yesterday), I just checked my Medicare bill which is taken out of my SS check each month. For 2014, it is $104.90. It kind of works out that your Medicare goes up, your SS goes up and it sort of balances out with a couple of dollars left over. Last year my SS was $298.00 - net, a month, this year $304.00 - net. I get a small amount because I didn't work from 1964 to 1996 (when I had to make enough to earn my 40 quarters (that's what makes us eligible for Social Security......it is something else now.) So I had to earn enough money/time in to qualify for SS. I did it and it has worked out just fine - it is my vacation money. The rest to live on is my husband's pension, of which I get 75%. I am comfortable. Our health insurance is covered 100% except for co-pay and deductible for the rest of my life and that is good. Just dot every eye and cross every t to make sure you are getting what is absolutely- positively- without a doubt- nothing withstanding benefit you are entitled to. And don't let anyone talk you into anything unless you check with SS first and Medicare. Remember also that the gizmos that they tell you on TV that Medicare will pay for it, THEY DON'T - unless you check everything out for positive sure. Not so much for you but for other readers here.......I found out from Social Security and other places that you might not be able to retire until 65 because the monthly payment is less. DUHHHHH! Of course it will be, but I found out from our advisor, if you opt to retire at 62 you will get a lesser amount, but what you make in those three years that you have been retired you will have made up by the time you get your age 65 SS. In other words, you will come out ahead because when you turn 65 you will get age 65 payments, you just get less from 62-65 because you retired early. My sister and her husband did the same - and really didn't notice that much of a difference. Check it out. Edie (I am not really that good in explaining, but I did it and I'm almost 76 and it was no hardship for me at all.)