View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 10:30 AM
NJ Quilter

Hand quilting can be very relaxing. Like mermaid says - you can solve all the world's problems then!

You are on the right track with getting your stitches evenly spaced...far more important than their size...that will come with time. And each time you pick up your work it will take a few minutes to get back in the rhythm. Some folks keep a scrap sandwich to get their rhythm going before starting their quilt each time (not me, I just go with the flow).

To end your thread, make a knot in the thread a couple of inches away from your quilt. I do this by wrapping the thread around the needle a couple of times and then pull the needle through the loop that is made. Then, take your needle and place between your top and the batting, next to where you quilted your last stitch, and bring the needle up far enough away from where you inserted it so that the knot will be hidden. Pull the knot through the top/batting. This will take a bit of a tug. You will hear/see the 'pop' made. Pull the thread a bit more (scrunching up your work) so you can clip the thread close to your quilt top. This will hide the loose end under your top and keep the knot hidden. If that makes no sense to you, try looking on youtube for videos of 'burying a quilting knot' or similar terms.

As to thimbles...there are a gazillion choices. I use Thimblelady thimbles. They are cone-shaped and open ended. They are designed to push the needle with the pad of your finger vs the top. I find it much more comfortable to quilt that way. Much easier on the finger/hand. Roxanne thimbles are designed to be used similarly but are far more expensive. Thimblelady has plastic ones at very reasonable prices (under $20 I think) if you wanted to try one without spending a fortune. I found their sizing instructions to be very accurate as well. I now use a stainless steel one. Again, much more reasonably priced than Roxanne thimbles. Although the Roxanne's are beautiful. Those I would have fitted in person.

There are numerous thread here on the board regarding hand quilting. If you put that term in the search function, you should be able to find lots. But we're all here to answer questions any time as well.