View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 07:55 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by MarthaVA
Hi. I'm new to quilting. I am making a quilt for my daughter, and I have hand quilted the 3 sections - 3 times. I've had to tear out the stitches - 3 times. :evil:

The first time I tried machine quilting but the stitches kept coming out way too close together - after 2 rows I decided it wasn't good so I would hand quilt it.

I am sewing my rows about 4 inches apart, on the diagonal. I don't know if this makes any difference.

The next time I sewed (by hand) I finished all of the stitching and laid the quilt out flat. I realized that the fabric was not laying flat on the backing. :(

I tore it all out, started again.

I sewed about 5 or 6 rows, and checked the back. Same thing.

I know it must have to do with the way I'm sandwiching. The first time and second time, I had pinned it all together after laying it on the floor. That was really hard for me - being on the floor and trying to get it all done. Hard on the knees and the back.
I also had not used a hoop the second time.

The third time, I didn't pin it but hand basted it lengthwise and widthwise. I don't think I used enuf basting.

I also used a hoop the third time. That didn't help.

My next step is to lay out the backing, tape it down, spray it w/adhesive, then lay down the batting, spray with adhesive, then the top. My only problem is, I'm afraid to take this next step because if I get it wrong again, I'm afraid I'll ruin the quilt with the spray adhesive.

HELP????

Thanks.
Martha
Be sure you are able to secure the back to something before you start to spray baste or pin. I use the blue painters tape, and tape it to a table so the back is secure and wrinkle-free, but not stretched out of shape. If you don't have a large enugh table, baste and pin in sections, starting with the center and working out. Then when you layer the batting and top, the back won't move around. I think that is what may be contributing to your problem. I always spray baste - it helps with my pinning, which in turn makes the quilting better.