View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 05:42 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb C. View Post
I have a solution for all of you. Try something new. I sew for a charity, and I don't use any patterns. Here is an example. Let's say you have 4 or 5 squares with animals for kids on them. Generally you discard something like that because there isn't enough blocks for a whole quilt. Got to think outside of the box, ladies. Every quilt doesn't need to be exactly the same!! Say---put a border of different colors on each square. Lay this blocks out on a flat surface and place them in a scattered pattern. Ok, now think "what else can I do?" Oh, I will make some half- sq. triangles to go around one side. Oh, now they need a small black edge to set them apart from the block. How about a block with a big flower going up the whole side. (do it.) lay it out and decide the placement. Then I would think---some small churn dash blocks or some wonky star blocks would look cute placed in another area. this thinking process continues and you have made "your own design"! I have so much fun doing this method. I don't get bored. Sometimes you have a lot of partial seam sewing, but with black strips to separate the motifs, it works in easily. I will post an example here.
That is a really cute quult. T

Not everyone has that gift/ability to think/create like that, though.