Old 09-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Billi

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I represent a charity, as in we have our own charitable organization here in Poland. Please be assured that sometimes what you think is ugly isn't ugly at all--and truly "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Honestly and truly.

Unless the issue is craftsmanship--as in just awful, there is a place for every project. I have been given double knit tops--things I thought were HORRIBLE, but I finished them and they've been chosen by the recipients as THE quilt that they wanted! It made the recipient happy, and it made me happy, that such an "ugly thing" found a home--and a home that appreciated it.

So, I respectfully disagree with you, Billi--I have been the recipient of some uglies but truly--they can be finished and made into something warm for people who are cold.

One other thing--I made a QAYG out of orphan blocks--things--and it was chosen right away as one someone wanted!!! (When I give away quilts, I let the recipient come and choose from what I have available, so it is something that they want--not just what they are handed.)

If the quilt is really ugly, you really can cut it up and use it as crumb blocks, but I believe I have made several "saves" with some blocks that I didn't really consider good workmanship.

So, I would encourage you NOT to throw them away. Americans have such a wasteful mentality that it hurts anymore when I hear that you just "throw it away". If you live somewhere else for a while (as in a poor country) where there isn't quite as much plenty, you become much more aware of this waste and excess.

I would encourage you to channel your unloved projects to a group who will finish them and find a home for them.
Im glad your "uglies" found a loved home and your experience with them is a positive one maybe mine are just uglier than most :-). None of them are as pretty as Marca's butterflies.

I agree with not throwing them away I like the concept of looking at them as a piece of fabric to be cut reworked and used in different projects.

Whats that saying "no fabric is ugly it's just not cut small enough" maybe I should apply that to my unfinished tops that I hate.