Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Cass62

Default Mixing Antique Blocks With Reproduction Fabrics

I recently purchased a set of 1920s-30s Dresden Plate blocks which I plan to use for a quilt. There are 30 blocks, 15-16" square, all nicely hand pieced. Well, except for the centers, which range from "nearly round" to positively egg-shaped, but I find that rather charming.

Included with the blocks, was a completed section of border comprised of alternating Dresden blades with muslin, and about 60 extra Dresden blades which could be used to help complete a border. I haven't yet tried to lay out a border, but I suspect that I will come up short.

Here is my question: Does it really matter if one adds a few reproduction prints to complete a project like this? Considering that no matter what I do, the binding, backing and muslin used for the border will probably be newer fabric, does it matter at all? I know that a quilt is only considered as old as the newest fabric used to construct it. I'm not usually a "purist" by any stretch, but somehow I feel it would be best to at least "try" to keep this quilt as "antique" as possible. LOL seeing that in print makes me feel silly...any advice? Am I over thinking this? I mean, right now as it is, these are someone's UFO from 70+ years ago. What would you do?

Here is a link to the ebay sale with pics:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Large-193...p2047675.l2557