View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Bubbie

COUPON, COUPON, COUPON!!!!! Can never say that too much.
I got into quilting after my first husband died (and money was tight, had a girl in high school too). Started off small used scissors (as I had for making garments), found I wanted and needed a rotary cutter (scissors work for small areas and little things too).
I went to Goodwill and found items that I could use and wanted for pennies. Also craigslist and garage sales, when they say sewing and quilting supplies.
The quilt board has items from other quilters for sale also.
If you have an idea of an item you want, think outside the box too (Home Depot, Lowe's, Harbor Fright, Tuesday Mornings, Walmart, Michael's). They all have items you can use for quilting, that are not labeled quilting (some times the quilting label cost more money).
Also go to a quilt guild meeting, your local guild will have people who know the area and what you can get and when.
Beware of buying items at a quilt show. Some times you can get GREAT deals, but you can also pay MORE for other items (we've all seen this).
Good luck and don't rush. Remember our mothers and grandmothers, didn't have all the stuff we have and they quilted just fine.