View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM
icul8rg8r

I'm a fairly new quilter and am so glad I researched and asked for suggestions before buying - just like you are! Here's a list of my favorite items I use for almost every project and cannot (or rather would prefer not to) live without:

1. Olfa 24x36 Cutting Mat (self healing) and 12" Rotating Cutting Mat (for squaring up)
2. Creative Grids Rulers (6x24 and 2 1/2"x12 1/2" to start with, but I now have several!) They truly are the best.
3. June Taylor Shape Cut PLUS slotted ruler (to cut long strips/boarders/binding accurately)
4. Rotary Cutter and extra blades (I've tried several brands but prefer Martelli due to my arthritis)
5. Sew Steady acrylic sewing table custom made for my sewing machine
6. Seam ripper (i like Seam Fix brand with rubber cap head), and stilleto and thread snips - always at my machine!
7. "Binding Tool" from Missouri Star Quilt Company (my most recent find - love it - no longer hate binding!)
8. 1/4" Quilting Presser Foot with guide (that I can use with my built-in walking foot - I have a Pfaff)
9. Iron (invested in the Olisio - love it - great for those with arthritis) and Best Press (instead of starch - love it).
10. Thread! Tried many different brands - your machine will let you know if it likes it or not! My favorite is Masterpiece by Superior (but can be expensive, so I use this for my nicer quilts when perfection is necessary). Otherwise my thread of choice is Connecting Threads - stock up when it goes on sale. You will want white, cream, a khaki color, gray, and black - I use those colors most. You'll want to make sure to use the right size machine needle and tension - Superior's web site has a great tutorial on everything thread related. Superior needles are my favorite.
11. Finally, I love using Clover clips rather than pins - I have both the small red ones and the green jumbo, but use the red ones most often. Oh - and basting spray. Together these make "sandwiching" quilts so much easier.

I'm starting to invest in Ginger brand rulers as they go on sale; I've been cutting from patterns and scissors work better than rotary cutters.

If you'll be toting your machine to classes, you'll want a nice rolling bag for your sewing machine - I invested in a "Tutto" brand rolling case - easy on my back/arthritis. I also bought a black 12 1/2" Project Case made by OmniGrid to use for classes. Keeps my blocks and class tools neatly stored and readily accessible.

Last edited by icul8rg8r; 09-07-2014 at 08:49 PM.