View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 05:46 AM
shayarene

Default Cutting Question

Good Morning Everyone, Still newbie and still learning, so many questions pop into my head all the time. I was wondering, when you sit down to make a log cabin quilt, or any 9 patch etc, do you cut many strips before you start and then choose them, or do you just choose the fabrics as you go and cut them as you go? I might be confusing everyone, but let's say I have a nice piece of fabric, should I cut it all into strips to use or some strips and then maybe some squares for another quilt? Do I cut what I need and then just put it away? I am a very structured person and I want to get away from that and make more unplanned scrappy type quilts so they are more colorful and mixed up. I just can't seem to get away from my structured ways of planning a quilt on graph paper and then just using the same fabrics repeatedly in it. I don't have large amounts of fabrics, just what others have kindly shared with me, so I was hoping someone could instruct me better on cutting them??? I sure hope I haven't confused everyone? Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give me. I am becoming so addicted to the fabrics and quilts I see on here. Have a great day. Rachel