View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 AM
Sewnoma

I'm lucky, Beverly's is a local store for me. They carry most of the same lines as a typical LQS would, but their prices are generally a tiny bit lower (by about $1 per yard, but it adds up!), they will accept Joann's coupons for up to 30% off fabric (one coupon per purchase), they give 10% discount to guild members, and they usually have 2 discount tables set up; one for half-off fabric and one for 3.97 fabrics. The 3.97 fabrics are hit or miss and mostly miss for me (looks like stuff they buy in bulk; some of it doesn't even have contents listed so could be made of anything, lots of it is apparel fabric; rarely I will find nice cotton) but that half-off table is awesome. I find all kinds of good stuff on that table. Great table to shop for charity quilts; they often have lots of cheery kid's prints & panels on there.

Plus their staff are generally speaking pretty knowledgeable & helpful. One day while I was there, a young man (early 20's I'd guess) was asking about what he'd need to buy to sew the cuff back on his hoodie. He had the hoodie there and was showing it to the lady at the cut counter and asking what he should do; the seam had come undone a few inches. She just grabbed a needle and thread off the back counter and fixed it for him on the spot, no fuss, no muss, no charge. It was very sweet. I really like stuff like that; I feel like companies that support their employees doing that sort of thing for their customers are GOOD companies that have their mind set on more than just raking in the profits. It seems to work; they have several locations and there are always customers in there.

It makes me want to work there when I am in a position to go into semi-retirement. I would love to be the nice old lady at the cutting counter, stitching cuffs on hoodies for youngsters! Plus I'll need a fabric discount, who knows how much fabric will cost in 20 years!?