View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Wow I Like That

Default Learning to FMQ - the machine

Thank you for the nice comments but I don't know that it has much to do with lots of talent. I think it is the machine. I have a machine fetish, I suppose. Right now I have 5 regular sewing machines. I am trying to sell at least 1 and I'm giving 2 away. I couldn't get the fmq down on any one of them. I bought special feet, I sawed them apart. The thread just kept breaking. And I really, really, really wanted to do it. I knew I would love it. Then I saw a mid arm machine and thought maybe I could swing getting one of those. But they are really expensive too. I mentioned my frustration to a friend who owns used industrial sewing machine business. He gave me an old darning machine and said try this. It didn't work as it sat and my original idea didn't work. But I didn't give up and I created a table piece out of plexiglass and it worked perfectly. And for zero money too. It sews fast and strong and I never get a thread break. It doesn't do like a long arm and I have a tendency to worry about my fabric on the right. I've figured out in my head how to fix this and will once I find another good piece of plexiglass. It is so much fun and so addicting. I did get a couple weeks ago a used Mega Quilter on a big ole frame for so little $ I couldn't pass it up. I didn't play with it much yet as I ordered a piece to make the base of the machine larger so I could use rulers and guides. I'll let you know how that goes once I get going with it.

Here is a picture of the old darner turned fmq machine.
Attached Thumbnails darner.jpg   darner-finished.jpg