Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt
My dh's family is very upset with me as I haven't had the time to make all 8 of them quilts. I made a real pretty red, black and white quilt for my MIL last year for her birthday and Christmas, and my SIL started to cry saying I don't love her. I don't really like to work under pressure like that, so right now I'm in the "stubborn" stage.
I totally agree with you. Be stubborn. I don't mean to be insensitive. I don't mean to be stingy. I don't mean to be a "Scrooge." But lately, when someone says, "When will you make one for me?" I come back with this: "Quilts are so much fun to do. And anyone can do them. I will be happy for us to get together and I'll help you to make one for yourself." That usually nips it in the bud. I have come to the conclusion that we are enablers. The more we do for them, the more they won't do for themselves. (And the less they learn to do fun things.) And we get worn down to a frazzle, with guilt feelings about not ever being able to finish our projects. ...AND .. they don't have a clue as to the cost and time involved. My friend came along with me to buy fabric for my son's quilt. She was absolutely astonished that the fabric alone cost so much. I told her that I still had to get batting.

Now do I need an attitude adjustment or what? I just love doing things for others, but I think that the more we do, the more that is expected from us. OOH, I must really be having a bad day today.