Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 PM
BoJangles

Hummm, this is interesting because there is a little repair shop close to me owned by a guy in his 80's who has been working on sewing machines for ever. He said not to buy a 'new' bobbin case for the 301. He didn't explain why, just said they usually work in the 221,222, but will sometimes stick in the 301. He told me to get a vintage bobbin case. I have 4 301's and the new bobbin case I bought for $35 (suppose to be a good one) will not work in any of my 301's, but it works in my 221's. Very interesting. I am pretty sure my 301's are all original too, including the bobbin case assembly/base.

Nancy
Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Grant,
The hook and bobbin case for 221s and 301s are the same. It's the bobbin case base that is different and not interchangeable. If a machine has the wrong base in it no bobbin case will work properly. It's quite possible that someone at some time replaced Nancys' with the wrong one. The vintage Singer groups are full of these discussions. People think that because the machines use the same bobbin case that the case bases are the same when they're not.

Cari