View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 AM
patricej
Administrator

To be fair, though, we need to remember and respect a quilter's right to say "I don't WANT to." quilting should be fun. it should be relaxing; an escape from the trials and tribulations in the rest of our lives.

for example, i CAN do traditional needleturn applique. however, i can't do it well without a great deal of struggle. it takes me an hour to stitch one teeny tiny flower or leaf to my personal standard and satisfaction. :shock: therefore, i will probably not ever make an applique block or quilt that way. if i do applique, it's almost certainly going to involve as many shortcuts as possible. i'm content to admire the glorious work of expert needleturners.

"i don't want to" is a perfectly good reason to not try something new or do something a second time. as long as a quilter is not selling herself short by assuming she "can't"; as long as she is not denying herself the chance to try making something she very much wants to make but is afraid to try, i say leave her alone.

BUT if i know a quilter considers herself "less" of a quilter because she hasn't done something yet, and fear is the only thing in her way ... well ... i'm going to try my best to drag her into the challenge. :wink: