View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 05:49 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Hubby wants to repair a sail. Can my machine handle sewing thru dacron? Singer 15-91 Centennial (1951). I have heard that the older machines can handle "heavy duty" sewing. Thoughts?

sandy
I don't see why not. If it can sew denim, it can sew dacron canvas. Make sure you have sewing thread rated for outdoor use and UV resistant. Match the needle to the job and perhaps adjust the tension if needed. I've used "Coats & Clark Outdoor, UV Resistant 100% Polyester" thread bought from Walmart to sew outdoor projects that will be exposed to the weather. For some of the projects I used my Pfaff 1472 and it is not considered a heavy-duty machine. More recently I sewed an oversized pillow on my little thrift store Singer 301, using nylon upholstery thread and heavy upholstery fabric. It just sang right along, never missing a beat or a stitch, then went right from that to stitching Moda cotton fabric with aurifil thread. Even when I backstitch to end a seam, I tie off the threads, slip the ends under the stitching and end with a touch of Fray-Check because I hate do-overs. You might find some interesting videos at Sailrite.com since they are in the business of selling a sewing machine and supplies for just that type of job, but I'd first do a test piece on the machine you have.