Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Sewnoma

Oh, now that looks very interesting! Thanks for posting, I'm going to have to look for one of those feet and give it a try!

I machine sew every binding; if I had to hand-sew I would never get any done. Quilt police aside, nobody seems to mind - non-quilters never notice the difference, and my fellow quilters have given me ribbons at the fair for my machine-sewn quilts, so thankfully not everybody pooh-poohs machine binding!

I have several quilts from both of my grandmothers (both of whom were avid quilters) and once I became a quilter too I examined their quilts in detail. I was a little surprised to notice that neither grandmother hand-sewed their bindings. One never used separate binding at all, she just wrapped the backing over the top on every single quilt. And I never, ever noticed until I became a quilter myself.

Makes me feel a lot more free in my quilting. There's no "right" or "wrong" way...just ways that work and ways that don't work. I wish I had taken up quilting when either or both of my grandmothers were still living, I wonder how many tips and short cuts they could have taught me...