View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 PM
ThayerRags

Other than the Singer Industrial Stool that was bolted to the floor at a machine that KLO pointed out with her link, I haven’t seen any stools that I would consider a “matching stool” for a treadle by Singer or anyone else. There was a Singer chair used in industrial settings with the H-leg and K-leg electric power stands like shown in one of my photos, but that’s about all of the Singer chairs that I’ve seen. I don’t think that the matching stool was available with treadle cabinets like it was with electric cabinets. Probably because the stool wouldn’t stow under a treadle like under the electric cabinets. People must have just used whatever chair was available. The matching stool was probably a sales aid during the electric years.

I have a couple of wrought-iron stools that I’ve used with my treadles both at the shop and at home, and they kind of look like they match from a distance, but on close inspection they’re obviously not a match. We use an old claw-foot piano stool at home also, but the stool came off of the homestead ranch where it had served as a piano stool. We don’t have a piano, so we use the heirloom stool with our treadle sewing machines. The height adjustment threads are stripped out, so we can’t adjust the height of it anymore. We also have a 4 ft-long wooden bench that works good when two of us are playing at the same machine.

Here the past 6 months or so, I’ve begun using office chairs and motorcycle stools on casters when using my treadle sewing machines. I thought that I needed a stool without wheels to keep from rolling away from my treadle, but since I only use one foot on the treadle, I’ve found that rolling chairs work just fine. I’m so used to having wheels under my chairs at my electric machines that I about tipped myself and the rigid stools over several times when pushing to move without realizing it wasn’t going to roll. I thought that I needed the height of the rigid stools too, but found out that I don’t, even on the Singer 29K70 that I have mounted on a trolley with wheels underneath. The trolley raises the treadle about four inches, and I put one foot on the treadle and the other on the trolley frame to keep all of the wheels from rolling, or at least the trolley and the chair rolling in unison the same direction.....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails woodall_40.jpg   sewrm_20140406_03.jpg   20131208_01.jpg