Thread: Vintage Sergers
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 PM
KenmoreRulesAll

Default Vintage Sergers

I've seen discussions of sergers in other parts of QB but not amongst our vintage selves. So, I thought I'd start one. For myself, I think sergers/overlockers/coverstitchers are very interesting machines and I'd like to learn more about them, the other sewing machines.

So what's a 'vintage' serger? Based upon what very little I know, sergers for domestic use didn't become available to the American public until the 1960s. These early machines were small, a bit primitive (some didn't even have lamps), and were heavy and reliable. These were Baby Lock machines made by Juki in Japan.

Like standard sewing machines, the amount of plastic used in design and construction of sergers increased in the 1980s and more so in the 1990s. (This may have had to do with prices of materials and steel-making as well as increased labor costs.)

Additionally, the differential feed feature became common to most models around 1990.

So, I consider a vintage serger to be one that was made prior to about 1990. Does that seem reasonable?

Anyway, here are my three 'vintage' sergers.

A 3-thread Baby Lock made by Juki (BL 3200) sometime in the early to mid '70s:

A very similar 4-thread Baby Lock 5180 (again, Juki) from a couple of years later:

And a Bernina Bernette 5-thread (probably Maruzen in Japan of Kenmore fame) from around 1987:

Prices for vintage sergers are all over the map but are usually higher than standard sewing machines. As expected, condition plays a role.

The BL 3-thread was $20 from a CL seller. The manual and long threading tweezers were included, as was the power cord and pedal. The machine runs flawlessly. It has a few dings.

The BL 4-thread was $46 from a thrift store. A bunch of attachments were included including thread cone supports, brushes, screwdriver, etc. and the power cord and pedal. No manual. The machine runs very well but has a small squeak whose origins I have yet to discover. It looks as though it has never been used; its condition is pristine.

The Bernette was $18, also from a thrift store. It was sold 'as-is'. Because the blade was in the upward position and the front door was ajar due to a lever not quite in its proper place, the interlock power switch made the machine appear not to run. Once this was corrected, the machine runs beautifully but the upper looper and needle bar need re-timing. It came with cone supports and a carry case, power cord and pedal, but no manual. I downloaded the manual for free.

The BL machines are utilitarian and basic but run very well. It appears that threading them is an unenviable task but not the tale of horror some tell. I like their smaller size and their looks: they look like small robots in a 'Lost In Space' manner, with their stripes and cute, knobby tension assemblies, I half expect their thread trees to begin spinning around looking for signals. I love the look.

The Bernette will never win a beauty contest (particularly with its ugly integrated handle) but threading appears to be easier and with a very good threading chart behind the front sliding door. The metal door enclosing the 5th thread assembly is beautifully done. It is larger than the other two machines, though no heavier and there is a large plastic piece in front. (I'm not yet sure what it's for.) This machine has DF, a newer feature in the late '80s. This machine is a bit of a project machine, as it needs work in order to be a usable serger.

Do you own any vintage sergers? Modern sergers? What are your impressions?
Attached Thumbnails p1000334-640x640-.jpg   p1000331-640x640-.jpg   p1000342-640x640-.jpg   p1000343-640x640-.jpg   p1000347-640x640-.jpg  

p1000348-640x640-.jpg   p1000349-640x640-.jpg  

Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 09-16-2014 at 08:03 PM.