View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 04:59 PM
zozee

I've begun a system and we shall see how useful it is . But this is it in a nutshell:

1. If I can get a FQ or very close to it, I roll it up and tie it loosely with a strippy scrap. I put that into a a preety open tin on the dresser for inspiration.
2. I use an IKEA bookcase that has two shelves . Each contains clear shoeboxes with lids (Dollar Tree). I have been cutting the widest strip possible if I have ironed something. The sizes I have been cutting are 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3,4, 5, and also 6. To be honest, I haven't really dipped into them for a new quilt.
3. Little bits go into a gallon ziploc bag for doll pillows. (I make doll quilts for charity.) When the bag is full, I begin trashing bits after that.
4. I save anything larger than about 6" square as a whole piece.

I'm also ready Cut the Scraps! right now for her reasoning of her methods .I do think it's wise to keep scraps in smaller bins, not deep ones.
5. That said, I have a clear 3-drawer organizer on wheels next to my sewing desk. Top drawer is machine feet and extra bobbins. Second drawer is "light" scraps and third is "darks." That's so I can see at a glance the contrasts.

I also have a little box of 4" squares and one for all blues. Thought I'd make a blue and white quilt someday...