Old 09-18-2014, 05:53 AM
margecam52

I have purchased online...and was not impressed with the fabrics. It's a 70 mile round trip to the nearest fabric store (Walmart & Joann's, Walmart is closer). When hubby has doctor appointment...I get to be let off at Joann's or Walmart.

I wish we had a small quilt shop nearer to us, but we don't. I do try to buy quilting/sewing supplies online (wholesale) to have for local customers who are in the same boat I am...no shop close by. I have very few fabrics...but carry some tools, needles, embroidery stabilizers, threads, and other notions. The things you seem to always run out of at the worst moments. There are a couple quilt/sewing shops in the city...but they mostly want to sell machines...and I have more machines than I care to count...lol...older, but they work. I do quilting for others mostly, so batting is purchased online, in bulk. Customers supply top and backing & specialty batting (silk, wool, etc.) themselves. I was gifted three fabric stashes from others, mostly from ladies who didn't outlive the stash. These I sell (if over one yard), or give to those wanting to learn to quilt. I KNOW I won't outlive my gifted stash...and would rather share it than have it thrown away some day.

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
We all love to shop online, shop prices,etc. BUT, what if the internet becomes the only way to buy machines, fabric, etc? Just a thought. Shops have to content with the virtual competition AND pay their expenses of being a brick & mortar.

sandy