Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 PM
ILoveToQuilt

Default Bobbin Winding Help/Question for Machine "Gurus"

I need help from some of the machine experts here on QB.

I own a Janome Model 344 (a European?) inexpensive ($125 or so 5 years ago) machine. It appears that the Balance Wheel/Stop Motion Knob (the large wheel on the right side of machine) no longer "locks" in when I try to wind bobbins. The needle goes up and down and I can't get it to lock in when I wind my bobbins. I have taken to removing the needle and any bobbin I have in the case and just wind away. Am I hurting the machine by doing this? I really can't afford to repair the machine and seeing that it was an inexpensive machine to begin with, I am not sure repairing it is the wise way to go.

I also own a Janome "Heart" machine, but I have never taken it out of the carton...I'm afraid of the computer in it! LOL I may just have to break down and have my DD show me how to use the new machine, but I love, love, love my 344.

So my question...am I doing more damage to the 344 by just winding the bobbins without having the locking mechanism that keeps the needle from going up and down? The bobbins seem to wind fine.

One last thing...the machine sews beautifully. Tension is spot on, stitches are nice and neat, "she" just has this locking in issue.

Thank you for your answers oh wise ones!

Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 09-18-2014 at 02:57 PM.