View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 12:56 PM
auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by Macra View Post
I average 18 sts to the inch whip stitching most hexagons together, and yes, you can 'just' see the stitches, but it's quite usual to use thread that blends in and that means the stitching isn't so noticeable. Even on silk using silk thread the stitching does show a little (usually 25st to the inch on that). Your hands find a rhythm and the pieces come together quite quickly.
Thing is though; you show your stitches when you quilt, why should neat and tidy and even hand stitches not be seen on hexagons, or other paper pieced patches, too ?

Mary
I too use a whip stitch. As I am 1400 hexies into my quilt, I have noticed that I have gotten better at hiding my stitches. I am using a neutral thread, Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP. I started out doing 12-14 stitches per side and now I do 18-20. I also don't do my whip stitch at an angle. I put my needle straight into both hexies so my stitches are straight across the seam instead of at an angle. My stitches are pretty much invisible from the front unless I happen to take too big of a bite of my Hexie fabric. Using card stock for my templates helps me take just a small bite of the fabric, better than plain paper does as the card stock is harder to sew through. If it is hard to push my needle thru, I know that I am trying to sew thru the template. I just pull my needle out and take a smaller bite of fabric.

i really think the secret is to take smaller bites and use more stitches.

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 09-19-2014 at 01:00 PM.