View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 09:37 AM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Just an FYI...the Kona at Joann's might not be the same as the Kaufman Kona at Hancock's of Paducah, so the colors may vary. The Joann's near me does not usually have the Kaufman brand.
I don't want to stir up any dust, but the "Kona" that is sold at JAF is SECOND quality fabric produced by Robert Kaufman. When there are irregularities in the processing, printing or dyeing of fabric, those items are sold on the secondary market. That is when chain stores such as Hancock, Walmart and JAF buy the fabrics. That is WHY the fabric is NOT on the manufacturer's original cardboard bolt. I buy my Kona cotton from Hancock of Paducah located in Ky. It is a family owned business. I was amazed at the richness of the color and better weave than what I had been buying at the chain stores. When HOP have SALES and they do have 20% quite often around the holidays, that is 20% off of the regular price of $5.98 a yard, much lower than JAF normal price. REMEMBER when you are carrying that coupons that you are not buying LQS RK Kona but second quality goods. I use to work for a lady who ran one of the last privately owned fabrics stores in Orange County in CA and she taught me a lot of lessons on the buying and selling of fabrics.

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous. Good luck with finishing it. I always love black for borders but red might also work out.