View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 01:48 PM
annesthreads

Default I'm just not creative

Tell me what you think about this. I've been thinking about doing a Kaffe Fassett-style brightly coloured quilt. I haven't finalised a design yet but have been busy cutting out squares in lots of possible fabrics. This afternoon I was showing my very creative sister the squares and my fairly simple ideas as to what I might do. She immediately made a suggestion that would make the whole thing much more exciting. Instead of feeling happy and inspired, ever since I've just wanted to cry because it brought it home that I simply don't have that extra creative insight that comes so easily to her. What do you do if you desperately want to have original creativity - but it's just not there? I'm a workaday quilter who can turn out a competent quilt if I follow a pattern and it's not too difficult, but no more than that. I yearn to do original, self-expressive work, but the ideas are just not there.
My excitement about my quilt has gone. If I use my sister's idea, it won't feel like my original idea any more, and if I dont, i'll know it could have been better. I feel ridiculous for reacting so strongly, but also very miserable.