View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 02:52 PM
sewmini

Aww you need a great big hug! Don't ever let it get you down for not dong "good enough" Let your work be yours and be happy that you can do it. I bet, in time, your ideas will come and they will be admired by many. I know somewhat how you feel for I have an older sister that says she is a perfectionist and she does do some beautiful quilts and yet I probably enjoy my quilting more than she does. We all would love to have that perfect look but sometimes it takes more work for some of us to get to that point. know that if you stick with it you will only get more creative and find pleasure in what you do. Keep looking for ideas and you may be surprised what you come up with. HUGS

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Tell me what you think about this. I've been thinking about doing a Kaffe Fassett-style brightly coloured quilt. I haven't finalised a design yet but have been busy cutting out squares in lots of possible fabrics. This afternoon I was showing my very creative sister the squares and my fairly simple ideas as to what I might do. She immediately made a suggestion that would make the whole thing much more exciting. Instead of feeling happy and inspired, ever since I've just wanted to cry because it brought it home that I simply don't have that extra creative insight that comes so easily to her. What do you do if you desperately want to have original creativity - but it's just not there? I'm a workaday quilter who can turn out a competent quilt if I follow a pattern and it's not too difficult, but no more than that. I yearn to do original, self-expressive work, but the ideas are just not there.
My excitement about my quilt has gone. If I use my sister's idea, it won't feel like my original idea any more, and if I dont, i'll know it could have been better. I feel ridiculous for reacting so strongly, but also very miserable.