Old 09-23-2014, 04:10 AM
mlmack

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
I recently was complaining about my sewing machine being in the shop and not being able to work on my quilting and Halloween costume projects and someone in the main board here suggested I pick up an old vintage machine to have as a backup. I thought, hmm, I have 2 vintage machines in my basement that belonged to my great-grandmother that I had planned to get out when my kids are grown and clean up and have as conversation pieces/ unique furniture. I never thought I could use them for some reason. I brought them upstairs and cleaned them up somewhat. I did a lot of work on the 66 and not so much on the 328K so far. The cabinets need a lot of work. I am going to do some research on how to best restore the cabinets. The treadle cabinet has some veneer missing so I have to learn how to fix that. My guess is that the 66 may have been original to the treadle cabinet although I have the receipt for the 66 which shows that my great grandmother traded in a machine and got $5 credit toward the $95 66 purchased in 1933 (made in 1930) so whatever her original machine was may have been in the cabinet originally. The 66 is currently in a smaller cabinet which may have come with the 328k. I will probably switch them back to the original cabinets after I do some work on them. Does anyone know anything about the cabinet that the 66 is in and what era it may be from? I don't know a lot about wood but it looks to me to maybe be mahogany or at least stained to look like mahogany. I know the 7 drawer cabinet that the 328K is in is quite common and was probably made over a long range of years. Here are before pictures of the machines all dusty down in my basement.

and cleaned up a bit

The cabinet that the 66 is currently in looks like one of the generic cabinets from the 60's or so that a lot of the Japanese machines came in. The Japanese "White" machine my mother had was in a cabinet similar to that.

It is also missing the door on the front.