View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 05:57 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
I need to purchase some kona cotton online....looks like the best price right now is at Joann's....If someone has the color chart, would you mind checking out Rich red, and pewter for me? Pics on websites look pretty similar for the red, but the pewter looks grey ( which is what I want) at J's, and it looks black on Hancocks of Paducah site!
Well, I pulled out my Kona color chart and my Buckeye hat and matched up reds and grays.

Looks to me like you may want Poppy and Ash, not Rich Red and Pewter, but Pewter isn't on my 2012 card so that may be closer than Ash which is the tiniest bit lighter than the hat's gray but is the same tone, not bluer or yellower. Personally, from the web images of Pewter, I think it's too dark. Rich Red, however, is definitely a browner red than my (never worn) hat.

A hint: colors tend to be truer at the manufacturer's website than on any store website. They have more at stake when it comes to accurate presentation.

Hancock's of Paducah is currently having a 20% off sitewide sale (thru 9/25), so you'll get a better price there than JoAnn's. At the sale price, Kona at HoP is now $4.38 per yard. Code for the sale is FALL20. JoAnn's price is $5.99 per yard, $0.52 higher than HoP even at their regular price.

Kona color cards are $19.99 at HoP (pre sale), but they're currently out of stock. Something to watch if you want one though. They have a 'notify me' button.
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/SHOP...ton-Color-Card

And dye lots vary for all fabrics and manufacturers all the time, it's just more obvious with solids because you're looking at pure color, no pattern. The more dyes in the color formula, the greater the variations can be. Be aware of it and plan for it.