View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 12:30 PM
annesthreads

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
As far as I can see - you've got two options. One is to use the suggestion your sister made, make the quilt, enjoy it and learn from it for next time. Option two is to put it one one side for a few weeks and look it it again with fresh eyes.

I recently went to a lecture by Kaffe Fassett as I'm a huge fan of his work from my knitting heyday and he has an exhibition here at the moment. I went to a private showing too and was lucky enough to speak to him. Although I didn't go to his workshop, my understanding from a lady who did go, was that really, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your fabrics must have 'spoken' to you when you bought them and again when you cut them and somehow, you lost that confidence when your sister made a suggestion. If you genuinely feel you like her idea, then go with it - who's to say you might not have thought of it yourself at some point? Personally, I think you should go with your heart. Perhaps try and get a couple of Kaffe Fassett books out of the library to inspire you.
Please let us know what you decide and happy quilting!
Kniette - I went to the current Kaffe Fassett exhibition in Bath at the weekend. It was wonderful: such an explosion of glorious colour in such exciting combinations. I've been studying the pictures in 2 or 3 of his books for several months, trying to understand how he achieves his effects. One of my challenges is that I'm only using a few squares of his fabrics: most of them are others, from my stash or have been bought with this project in mind. The aim is a quilt with a similar look to it, with the bold use of colours.
I agree with you re my options now. There's a 3rd of course, to put the lot in the bin! But that would be a waste of fabric, though there have been times in the last few days when it's been my favoured option. I'll probably put the project to one side and let things settle for a while, perhaps see if I can take my sister's suggestion and adapt it in some way so that it becomes mine.