View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 12:57 PM
annesthreads

A big question has to be - what is creativity, anyway? People tell me I'm creative because I make quilts. But my quilts are mostly other people's patterns. There's creativity in my colour choices, but otherwise it's craft/skill rather than original creativity. If I were to use the quilting cleverly to enhance the design that would be creative - but in fact I'm not a good-enough quilter to do much more than a simple design that will hold the quilt together! Which is fine - I can accept that limitation in my skills and work with it. The creativity I yearn to have is that that looks at something, whether fabric, paper, paint, natural objects - whatever- and sees original possibilities. That can play and produce something new, quirky, reflective; that can use that talent to produce work that expresses something I see, think or want to say, or which echoes or enhances some natural beauty in the world. But for me the ideas are just not there. To have the yearning without the ability to fulfill it is very frustrating.