Old 09-24-2014, 05:33 AM
winia

There was another point I wanted to make about the vendors. Vendors also have a lot more competition than they used to, and that's called online. There is nothing that I can get at a vendor that I can't get online with free shipping and a cheaper price per yard. I recall at a show there was only one vendor that was making money hand over fist, and that was a thread vendor. Sold nothing but thread. People were buying hundreds of dollars worth of thread at a clip, and there was always a crowd at this particular booth. There was another one I recall that was doing a "brisk" business that sold nothing but fat quarters. I know a woman who owns a shop and makes kits whenever she goes to a show as a vendor. It's easier for her to carry, is very enticing to customers at the show to see the kits already made up, and she does well. Not stupendously well, but well. Like everything else in this world, vendors need to concentrate on one item and one item alone. Perhaps a booth of nothing but precuts would make out very well. What I saw there was one booth after another selling basically the same thing -- fabric and notions. That's it. Nothing I couldn't get online. It's unfortunate, but a reality of life. I have also been told, and I don't know how true this is, that attendance at quilt shows is down. I don't know why, but that's what I have been told. Anyway, that's my take on the problem that I see as far as vendors, but I did love the quilts themselves. I thought they were absolutely wonderful.