View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 02:07 PM
mhcpa

Default Advice on a Senior Quilt Project

I am making a senior quilt for my son's graduating class to auction at the Fall Festival. He goes to a private school so only 18 seniors. I had each student take a block and have it custom embroidered. I was going to have embroidered on the quilt the name of the school and Class of 2015. The problem is the local shop is charging me $15 per block to do the custom embroidery and so to do 6 blocks with school name and Class of 2015 will cost me another $90 ! I have already spent $300 for material, thread and batting. I know I will have material left over but still I cant afford to spend the extra money. I just have a basic baby lock and no embroidery, my life is complicated enough!!! LOL

I am wondering which will be faster, doing alphabet paper piecing blocks or just cutting out the letters and satin stitching around them (applique)? I am looking at 30 letters/numbers and will be about 4 inches each. And the festival is two weeks earlier this year! It Oct 23rd this year. I have all senior blocks and other piecing ready to put together this weekend. Just wanted some experienced quilter's opinion.

Also, labeling? I want to put a small label with my info and business (who is donating the project). Any advice? Hand write with sharping on a small piece of fabric on the back? Or draw out and satin stitch?

I promise to post when completed, it is going to be very nice.