View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 05:31 AM
HomekeepingGran

Originally Posted by Imagin View Post
I'm new to quilting and so far have just worked on a 35 year old Kenmore machine that is sadly lacking in many ways. I'm thinking of buying the Janome M1250Q:
https://janome-sah.com/sewing-machines/juno-m1250q.html

It is supposedly designed for quilting and comes with a "quilting kit" but the throat space is only about 7-8 inches as far as I can tell from the website pics. Do you think it is possible to make a bed sized quilt on this machine?
Others can answer better about your throat space but I do want to let you know my experience with that kind of walking foot. I have an older Janome with a walking foot which looks exactly like this one and I frankly don't like it. I dislike that the quilting bar only fits properly to the inside of the throat space. That means your line of previous stitches must be to the inside, constantly adding more fabric into the throat instead of less. I tried turning the guide bar the other way and the end wouldn't rest on the fabric properly but turns downward toward the fabric instead of resting on its surface. AND after a few times in and out of the plastic clips, the clips broke and I had no guide bar at all. My husband then jerry-rigged a piece of wooden shim to more or less hold it in place. That works if I am careful to occasionally check if the guide bar hasn't accidentally moved to the side a little.

At this point I have ordered an inexpensive gadget from Nancy's Notions which will be a dual-sided guide bar which clips onto my walking foot. If it works well I will be putting away the guide bar (and shim to hold it in place) I have now and hope never to use it again.

The only other complaint I have is that even on a baby quilt my stitch length isn't even. It varies. It shouldn't do that.

Your little Janome looks like a fine basic machine, but had I known I would get into quilting, I am not sure I would have gotten what I did.

~ Carla ~

Last edited by HomekeepingGran; 09-28-2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: clarification