Old 09-29-2014, 06:30 AM
illinois

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
A quick and easy pattern would be rail fence. Plus, it's a nice way to showcase fabrics.

A side note: Some facilities do all the laundry, lap quilts too. They use VERY hot water. And sadly sometimes these treasures get lost. Just a heads up. Be sure to mark/label the quilts... embroidery would be the best.
A big AMEN to this last paragraph. Be sure you label conspicuously and, if the quilt is missing when you visit, don't delay in reporting that. I have experience with this! Sadly, sticky fingers do exist in these facilities. You might make note with the facility that you will do the laundering of the quilts, too, if you are nearby. When my husband was in a facility, they put a note on his closet about the laundering. I made wall hangings for the season/month--rather small ones that were quick, easy but made his room a little more home-like. Fleece throws are quick and might be a better fit in the situation as you wouldn't have quite as many regrets if they disappear or become less quality. There are a lot of great designs available that may speak to the recipients.