View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 03:40 PM
J Miller

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Hmm, I've wondered whether the old black ones might work better than the newer colored FW's! I have a tan one that I've bee taking to classes and meetings. It stitches very well, but the bobbin area is really fussy. I don't think it's as pretty as the nice shiny black ones with the gold decals. Maybe I'll get one of those one day.

I'd really like a nice 301 . Saw one on CL in Wenatchee for $70, but I don't have time to drive over there just now. Someday I'd like a beautiful treadle machine as well, but need to get a couple fixed and moved before I have room!
Margaret,

From what I have read, the tan ones are still gear driven internally. Only the white ones had the belt drive.
I doubt a black one would be any better mechanically than yours. Also from what I've read and seen with our FW, and the one I've worked on, the bobbin area is picky on all of them. Keep it clean, make sure you don't turn the hand wheel backwards by accident, always start your stitch with the thread take up lever at the top, and ... hold the thread tails as you start sewing and all should be well. In theory anyway.

Joe