Thread: Missing my FW
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Cari-in-Oly
Banned

Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
Well, everyone, a quick update -- I am thoroughly and irremediably afflicted with SMAD. I was browing around on the Goodwill site and saw a poor, orphaned little Featherweight, no case, needle doesn't go up and down according to the listing, and it called to me. I don't know exactly how old it is, but it has the chrome-edge hand wheel, a chrome stitch length lever, but a numbered tension dial. I don't know what kind of face plate it has (striated or scroll). I don't even know if it has a bobbin case! But I saw it was $100, put in a bid, walked away to let fate take its course, and... won it! $101.55, which is a lot of money, and I don't know if I'll be able to get it working, but it's going to be an adventure. Can't wait for it to get here.
You never know. I got one of my favorite quilting machines the same way. I watched a Universal clone go unsold for weeks on ShopGoodwill. It was filthy dirty, the light was broken, just an orphan naked machine. I finally took pity on it and won it with a bid of $5.99 +tax. Orphan Annie got a spa treatment, a cute little cabinet for a new home and a new light. She does have one battle scar. What I thought in pics was a stripe of green paint turned out to be what was left of a totally baked on big old green rubber band. I got most of it off, but there's still a skinny green stripe on her front that refuses to budge. She loves to do free motion work.

Cari