View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 AM
SteveH
Banned

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
I have other happy news. this wednesday my "foster" grandson will become my grandson. after almost 3 years they will finally be able to adopt him. I am going to go to court with them. oh what a happy day.
as a person who was adopted twice in his life, I cannot express what a difference it makes to be "real" emotionally.

When my ex and I were about 3 mos away from beginning our divorce, we had begun the process of me formally adopting her Daughter as my own. The Judge sensed the tension between my ex and I and took me aside to ask me if i was sure i wanted to do this with a "rocky" marriage. I replied that this was between my Daughter and I and my relationship with her mother was secondary to that. Funny side story: when my ex and I were being interviewed together the Judge asked me why I wanted to adopt her. I replied "It's the only way I can legally beat her" He understood that it was a joke, my ex did not. Later when he was interviewing my Daughter we hear the uproarious laughter from his chambers, he walked her out, made eye contact and pointed at me saying "you two deserve each other" It turns out he asked her the "why" question, and her reply was "how else can I collect on his insurance?"