View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 PM
blahel

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
I am doing a pieced wall hanging that I am planning to hand-embroider a quote onto, and my question is: Should I embroider the top and then quilt the thing, or batt and quilt it and then do the embroidery? If I embroider first, should I have interfacing or something behind it? Any thoughts or advice that you can offer will be greatly appreciated!
When i did my last 2 wallhangings and once i had sewed all borders on (so it was the finished size) i got the batting and basted the 2 together (with no backing yet) then i did all my embroidery by hand (without a hoop) Once that was done i then added the backing and then quilted it by just quilting in the ditch. Once that was done i then trimmed off excess batting and put the binding on. My wallhangings were not large they measured roughly 23 in x 23in and they turned out well with no puckering (front or back) I used a walking foot for all the straight lines when sewing in the ditch and i think that helped it not pucker. Once i had finished the quilt i embellished it with a few buttons and beads.I also added an embroidered label on the back which i made separately and then hand stitched onto the back. The label said a friend is like an angel who reaches for your hand and touches your heart. It was for my friends 50th birthday.