Thread: Fabric bundles
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 08:30 PM
oldtisme

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I'm one of the "crazies" (said with love, after all I'm in the group) who does pre wash fqs... Mainly due to allergens in many of the people I make things for. The sizing used in many fabrics also gets to me. I also participate in several of the swaps here on QB, and sometimes get fabrics from smokers. Which is not a complaint, because when we sign up for swaps, that's something that can happen.
I usually wash them by hand, warm water, "Free and Clear" soap. Sorry, have to laugh at that, as it's certainly NOT free when I go to purchase it! Badda Bing
I either pinking shear them or clip a tiny bit off each corner (supposed to help prevent the unraveling, not sure it really does) then I wash them by hand. There's been a few (especially reds) that it took a bit for the water to run clear, so I'm glad I pre washed on those for sure.
I then carefully "wring" them, smooth them out, hang them to drop dry. Usually when they're damp I press them.
I'll admit, it's work. But there is something nice about putting up a fresh smelling piece of smoothly pressed fabric...lol
Regards,
Kif
PS I had to pre wash a jelly roll once, it turned into a crumb cake... never again!
I am a smoker but only outside & I wash my hands before I go into my sewing room, the few quilts I've made the people can not smell any smoke on my quilts. My problem is buying fabric at Estate sales that have that musty smell to them. It's the only time I prewash (other than obvious bleeder fabrics) and then usually with vinegar, baking soda & detergent the musty smell comes out great. I was recently given 2 big tubs of fabric with the smell so I went out & bought 2 mesh bags to wash the scraps in. Hopefully I won't have to throw out too many tangled messes.