Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 AM
DDuMouchel

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
When I started quilting in 1993, I just simply hated scrappy quilts. Now I like them a lot. However, I never have enough fabric left over to make an entire quilt and my o9ther scraps don't match. I know you don't need to match patches, but I have a fobia about matching I guess. All the quilts that I see here, seem to have matching fabrics and so do the magazine quilts and also the quilting book scrappy quilts. This frustrates me since I am very bad at colors. Any suggestions? I do want to work with scraps and make some nice items.
The best way to ease into working with scraps is to limit your color palatte. Try using every blue fabric you have, plus a background. So you might have 20 different blues and 5 whites/creams. I think the old classic patterns like Log Cabin are excellent for this because the design depends on contrast between light and dark, not matching colors. Coordinating fabric lines is something that fabricmanufacturers have come up with in the last 25 years to boost fabric sales If you can break free of working with perfectly coordinating fabrics a whole new world of possibilities opens up!