View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Just "found" this thread.....intriguing, but my question is....re: Boston star block.......all the edges are bias? That. Ignite not be a prob with mini...I don't do.....but with larger squares for some who may have a difficult time handling bias edges, could this be a problem.

Another question........I am going to try a block......I have a thicker plastic 2-1/2" template....that should be ok, right?
Your 2 1/2" should be just fine. My templates are acrylic and 1/8" thick.

Yes some people are worried about bias. I sewed 2 1/2" blocks together and did a trial run one time. I use a method I call tacking. Tacking is sewing a stitch across where the seam will come through to hold the fabric in place. then I put a pin in the center to hold the egdes together. If you tack the ends and put a pin in the middle you have controlled the bias and it will sew just fine.

I am working on a doll quilt now that uses 2 1/2" Bostons. I haven't had any trouble with them at all.
Here is a picture of my tacking two blocks together. It doesn't matter what kind of blocks the method is the same and it works for all of my shortcut blocks.

It may be a pain to take time to tack but it does help tremendously with accuracy. The fabric can still slip a bit with a pin but if you tack it holds the fabric in place better. I use tacks whenever I am matching two seams or on the ends as I show here.
Attached Thumbnails tacking.jpg  

Last edited by Rhonda; 10-03-2014 at 10:07 AM.