Old 10-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

For this particular application, I would use nylon monofilament (or polyester monofilament) in the top, the bottom, or both. The one I like and have used is YLI nylon monofilament:
http://www.amazon.com/YLI-Corporatio...dp/B00A2GSI3I/
There are some tricks to using it because it stretches:

(1) Lower your top tension. On my machine, I move it from 5 to 3.

(2) If you use it in the bobbin, be sure to wind the bobbin slowly to minimize stretching. For a plastic bobbin, fill only half full. For a metal bobbin, you can fill 3/4ths full. Because of the stretch, overfilling a bobbin can cause the bobbin to distort and give you lots of sewing problems.

(3) Use a thread net over the cone. It helps a lot to use a thread stand to feed the thread to your machine. (I really like Superior Threads' latest thread stand.)

If you do a search for "monofilament thread" on the QB, you should find other comments about it. Some people prefer polyester monofilament over nylon. Superior Threads makes a good polyester monofilament. In my experience, polyester monofilament is not quite as invisible as nylon monofilament; however, it is still very invisible.

Edit: Harriet Hargrave is the quilter who introduced nylon monofilament for machine quilting to the world. Her book on "Heirloom Machine Quilting" provides many tips for successfully using this thread.

Last edited by Prism99; 10-03-2014 at 10:56 AM.