Old 10-03-2014, 11:31 AM
paintmejudy

http://www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm#.VC73lM9ALL
APPLE BUTTER RECIPE

this is the recipe I have used for the past 8 years. Follow the basic safety rules you already know about for canning. This isn't like regular jelly/jam where you pour the boiling jelly/jam into jars and seal. Since it isn't boiling, you need to use a hot water bath. I start making apple sauce in the afternoon, so that it is in the crock pot by about 4:00, I start it on high for about 3 hours and then switch to low. My crock pot only has the 2 settings. i let it cokk until between 8 and 11 a.m. ity all depends on how wet your applesauce was to start with. Just cook until it is as thick as you like. You cannot overcook this.

I don't make their entire recipe. l buy a mix of 15 pounds of apples and it makes enough applesauce to fill my large crock pot. Leave enough room when filling the pot to add your sugar and spices and then you can fill it up more. Or wait until it cooks down and add in the morning as their recipe calls for when you add the rest of the sugar. This is absolutely delicious, and really is easy.