Thread: How many?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 04:26 PM
LynnVT

I made quilts for each of my four daughters and then the six grandchildren. Some of those have another as they got older, but it depends on the mom. Many years ago my mother told a story about going to the home of an old woman who showed her a bed that was was piled high with quilts, one spread over the other. I've always loved that image, and having quilts to give away or sell if someone wanted one. I finally have one on my bed, one on guest bed and a whole bunch, some of which I am now planning to show in a program I'm developing for local guilds. A few hang on the walls, and there are two in my living room for me and a guest to use on a cold evening. I also have given many away through various outlets: Linus project, to nieces who work with foster kids and a hospital, guild projects, friends, cancer patients, etc. I don't surprise people with quilts very often. Just because I like a color or pattern doesn't mean someone else will and I think it's a mistake to expect everyone to cherish what we made if it's not their taste. I'd rather give it to someone in need. If it's a stranger I don't have to know what they did with it, so I'm not offended by finding out they tossed it or something. The main joy is in the making, for me. If someone reacts to one of my quilts in a way that indicates they'd really like it, it's so gratifying to just say, "Take it, it's yours!"