View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Cari-in-Oly
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Joe I thought someone on here mentioned QC problems with her supplier for the metal ones. I was under the impression she was discontinuing her metal ones for that reason.
You can use plastic bobbins in machines designed for metal ones with no problems. Some newer machines are designed for plastic bobbins. Use ONLY plastic bobbins in those.

I guess I don't sew enough for it to be a huge issue for me to wind my own bobbins. It only takes a few seconds and if you have more thread around there's no reason to unthread the top spool. I find myself switching colors a lot and if I wound them in advance they would be the wrong color anyway, though for bobbin thread it's usually not critical.
I can see the advantage to prewound bobbins if you're production sewing but that's about it.
Rodney
Machine embroiderers are big users of pre wounds. My BFF buys hers by the box. Being the frugal(read-cheap) person that I am, I bought a big cone of bobbin thread and wind my own, at least a dozen at a time. I do the same before starting any sewing or quilting project. Part of my prep work is winding bobbins so I don't run out in the middle of the project.

Cari