View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I would advise you to get a separate embroidery machine, if possible. That way, if you want to do embroidery, you can still be quilting while the embroidery machine is running.

I love my Bernina 1230 and can get very nice looking FMQ on it (because I practiced a lot). Its biggest drawback is the small throat space. Personally, as much as I love my 15yo Bernina, I would not pay the current price for a used Bernina with stitch regulator; I just do not think they are worth that much money. If you go with a separate machine for embroidery, I kind of think you are better off with a used Sweet Sixteen or other machine made strictly for FMQ.

One thing to think about is whether you ultimately prefer sitting down to FMQ or using a frame setup. I have done both, but find that frame quilting is easier for me (especially physically) and more fun. I can complete quilting much faster on my frame setup. If I had to choose between a Bernina with BSR and an entry-level Innova, I would go with the Innova:
http://www.innovalongarm.com/shop/in...ge-detail.html