View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 02:57 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Wilbur was over for a little while today. We worked on a clone. I had already cleaned the belt tar off the back end of the machine. It was so gross I didn't want to fool with it until it cleaned up a bit. So I got it back out today - I forgot that was all I had done to it... So I had Wilbur help me put a new bobbin tire on and we put the belt and hand wheel back on. Then he dressed it with some new felts. Then since I forgot I never cleaned and oiled it we discovered all kinds of interesting things. The bobbin case was missing it's spring. Cool. I had a rusted bobbin case and robbed the spring and screw off it. It did the job. While I was working on that Wilbur found my magnifying glass and made faces at me. Then we decided to test sew... OOPS lint in the bobbin area. Well then the feed dogs weren't feeding so Wilbur and I removed the throat plate to examine it a little better. The feed dog screw was very loose. Then Wilbur discovered that the sewing machine was making some socks for it's feet. LOL In other words it had a lot of lint in there, too. We got a round pointy thing made out of skinny wood... He couldn't think of 'toothpick'... Anyway that cleaned those up nice. He also cleaned out the bobbin race. He even knows how it all goes back together. Then we oiled everything. While we were oiling we discovered multiple threads wrapped around the works inside the nose. Wow - it turns a lot better now. I still need to take the tension off and clean it but we ran out of time. I go back over things when he is not around. Meanwhile the big sisters stayed on and wanted to test sew that machine to make the naked Barbie some clothes. BUT the bobbin case kept spitting itself out. BAD bobbin - a little bent. Oh and Miss L brought along all of her animals and dolls that needed surgery. We had an ER time after Wilbur left. We also made an elephant out of felt for Walter's birthday.