View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Bree123

Glad you're going to test drive it. About 1/2 of the 80 people in my quilt guild say they would never use a stitch regulator because they don't want to give up that control. Often I hear them compare it to the difference between a stick & an automatic. There are advantages to each.

The other thing I would add is that you will want to prioritize the features you're looking for in a machine. There is no one machine that is the best at everything. If you pick a machine that is better at embroidery, usually it will not be as good for quilting, precision sewing, or other tasks. The same holds true if you pick the top of the line for quilting. It's the reason why so many people have multiple machines. I am not at all pushing for you to get more than one machine; just encouraging you to consider that there are always trade offs. Take your time & test out any of the features you want to use on at least 3-4 different machines before making your decision. A lot of time dealers will be eager to have you try out different features on different machines based on what the machine's strength is. I've even seen them be very slick about it by saying something like "well, since you've tried out FMQ on this machine & you said you also wanted to do embroidery, let's try embroidery out on that machine so you can compare." That's comparing apples to oranges.