View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 07:49 AM
onaemtnest

Add me to the list of people who would never get rid of my Viking 1+. I bought mine new, (paying 'on sale' at the time nearly $3,000 back in the mid 90's that made it one of the most expensive machines I looked at) not even knowing how to sew, however wanting a hobby when one day I'd be retired.

I never started using the 1+ machine regularly until about 5 years ago, so it has very little hours on it. I only piece quilts that is the extent of my sewing capabilities.

I still 20+ years later have not used the 1+ to its potential. I've learned it is all metal, made in Sweden before Husqvarna was sold. The Husqvarna repairman also told me never to get rid of it as they don't make 'em like this anymore. I've never had a moment of trouble, despite my learning curve and no doubt perhaps doing things that might have sent a lessor machine in for repairs.

Because 'parts' mainly the 'mother board' is nearly impossible to find, I decided to purchase a back-up, just-in-case. I opted to buy via eBay, this past summer, the Husqvarna Viking #1 which is virtually the same machine sans embroidery capabilities, using most of the same cassettes and all of the same feet.

I actually had bought the Viking #1 first in the mid-90's and my sister talked me into upgrading to the 1+ for the embroidery capabilities and so within 6 months of purchasing the #1 I upgraded to the 1+. I've used the embroidery unit once! LOL I found I did not like 'babysitting' the machine while it embroidered to change thread colors...just not my thing :0)

The Yahoo group, is listed as
Viking1Plus_Orchidea Be sure to use the underscore in the group name. It is at times not a very busy group, but I assure you if you post a question someone is sure to help you out. Once you join look at the files, as schematic's of the machine, tips, manuals are all there. Talk of Jan's (the original owner of the group, who has since passed away) instructional video being reproduced by her daughter onto DVD is being promised. I have the video and it's invaluable to learning all functions the machine has to offer.

So good for you in purchasing a great machine, as I'm so happy with my Viking #1 and #1+.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 10-05-2014 at 07:55 AM.