View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 04:45 PM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Thank you all!

I just joined the Yahoo group and sent out a query for a repair tech who knows the machines. this afternoon I gave it to local Viking shop in Beverly MA but they were so busy selling me a new one, I fear they won't bother to work on it but will just tell me it doesn't work. They told me it doesn't embroider! Do you believe that?!!!

It does need some work, but I bought it with two or three hoops, the arm, the booklet full of the cards for embroidery, extra feet, the extension table, and the manuals, and I am hoping that the quilter who owned it didn't run it into the ground.

SueSew ~ If the shop you took the 1+ to is trying to up sell you, even before they've checked it out! I would suggest that you don't believe the repair person who told you that your newly purchased machine may have major issues.

The nearest authorized shop to me told me my motherboard was about to go out that is why I was having issues with stitch consistency. I couldn't afford $500 for a new motherboard so I said put it back together and I'll live with it. THEN I found the Yahoo group and they pointed out the schematics on the group files and I got Jan's video I talked about in post #21. Because of the schematics my husband gave the machine a more through cleaning than what I had been doing. The machine now at least 3 years later is purring like a kitten, stitch issues were only a deep cleaning/dusting problem.

Through the Yahoo group or contact me privately and I will give you the name of a man who several in the group ship their 1+ to for service, he's been a Viking repairman for I think if I remember 40+ years. I will never take my machine back to the authorized dealer close to home, the one that wanted to up-sell me into a newer 'better' model. I'll drive the 2 hours to one that is reputable here in Idaho or ship it to the Yahoo recommended service person.

I also think there is a way that an authorized repairman can tell how many hours a computerized machine has on it...not sure but I think there was a thread here on the board not too long ago that discussed that.

Oh, regarding original price for the 1+ I just pulled my folder out of the file cabinet. My original receipts show....

On October 31, 1994, I paid $3499.00 in Denver, Colorado, for the 1+ New in the box. I was trading in my #1 which I'd bought in May 1994 for $2395.00 New in the box ( it didn't have the extensive embroidery capabilities i.e. hoop) they were 'giving' (ha, ha) me $2600 for the #1 So the trade up in 5 months cost me $900 for the embroidery unit that I have only used once! Wow what an expensive set of towels those were! LOL Ahh the days before retirement with two paychecks and the kids nearly out of college.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 10-05-2014 at 04:50 PM.