Thread: Overwhelmed
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 07:15 PM
cminor

Hi all! :)

I am very new to quilting, although not so new to the site but I am 100% overwhelmed and confused. Let me start by saying I am not very creative at all. I tend to like the quilts I see by the color they are which I know is not the way to determine a pattern to use - but I just can't help myself. So, how do I stop myself from seeing color - and focus more on the block? I know I have to do it - I just don't know how :(

I made one quilt without much instruction last year. I love it, but it seems more like a blanket to me than a quilt. Yes, technically I quilted it - kind of - but looking at what others do, I have a very long way to go. I have some fabric, 3 or so quilt tops that I have started and gave up on for one reason or another, and a ton of scraps - but what should I do with them???

I could probably start by using my sewing machine instead of looking around on the site - but it's almost like I can't help myself. . . .

What would be a good scrap-ish begginer pattern? My other issue is I have a hard time putting the colors together in my head. I thought about just cutting squares, putting them together as I go and even before I started I got worried. Did I want to cut all my fabric up? What size squares? Did I even want squares? What about rectangles . .this is why I don't really get anything done. . .

How do you stay on track? :-D